Green Key is a leading standard of excellence in the field of sustainable tourism, guiding tourism establishments in doing their part in achieving the 17 Sustainable Development Goals set by the UN. In our new feature series we will present each of the 17 SDGs and explain their connection to Green Key.
In 2015, the UN member states adopted the 17 Sustainable Development Goals to guide governments, the private sector and civil society in transforming our world into safer, fairer and more livable place.
Sustainability lies at the heart of Green Key, which is why the programme inherently contributes to all of the 17 goals. Today, we talk about Goal 1: "End poverty in all its forms everywhere".
What is Goal 1 about?
According to the UN " Goal 1 calls for an end to poverty in all its manifestations by 2030. It also aims to ensure social protection for the poor and vulnerable, increase access to basic services and support people harmed by climate-related extreme events and other economic, social and environmental shocks and disasters." In the link above, you can read about the targets and indicators to Goal 1.
How does Green Key help to achieve Goal 1?
The Green Key criteria include several requirements and guidelines that indirectly contribute to the eradication of poverty:
- All employees are paid at least a living wage, so the salary is not below the legal minimum salary. (criterion 11.1)
- All Green Key awarded sites are encouraged to be equitable in hiring women and local minorities, including in management positions, while restraining from child labour. (criterion 11.3)
- Green Key awarded sites are asked to actively supports green activities or initiatives for social community development including, among others, education, health, sanitation and infrastructure. (criterion 11.4)
- The programme promotes the provision of means for local small entrepreneurs to develop and sell sustainable products that are based on the area’s nature, history, and culture. (criterion 11.5)
- Local food products are to be preferably purchased by the Green Key awarded sites to support the local economy and to shorten transportation routes. (criterion 8.1)
- The Green Key awarded establishments are advised to purchase local and fair-trade services and goods to stimulate the businesses in the local area and contribute to the reduction of transportation costs. (criterion 13.7)
A document describing Green Key’s overall contribution to all 17 Sustainable Development Goals can be downloaded here.