The Green Key application process consists of three part parts
- Sending the application documents
- Receiving on-site audits
- Decision by independent entity (third-party verification)
For a short video about the Green Key Application Process, click on the image below:
1. Application documents
- Ahead of the first award, the applicant establishment sends in a completed application form and all required supplementary documents.
- Ahead of subsequent awards, the applicant establishment sends in updates to the application material.
- On-site audits to the applicant establishments are as minimum carried out in year 1 (before first award), and then in year 2 and thereafter every third year.
- Off-site audits (document evaluation) are carried out in the years without on-site audits.
3. Decision making
- In countries with a national Green Key programme, an independent auditor or a National Jury decides on the Green Key awards
- In countries without a national Green Key programme, an independent auditor or an International Jury decides on the Green Key awards
General application process
- The establishment contacts Green Key
- The establishment sends the completed application form (including supplementary documents) and pays the participation fees
- The establishment receives an on-site visit by an auditor
- The application and audit report is presented for decision by the National or International Jury (or decided upon by an independent auditor)
- If approved, the awarded establishment receives the plaque with sticker and the certificate (and a flag can be purchased)
- The Green Key award is valid for 12 months and must be renewed annually
- In the following years with on-site audits (year 2 and normally every third year): Before the end of the year of award, the awarded establishment sends updates to the application material, pays the fees and receives an on-site audit. The application and audit report is presented for a third-party entity (National or International Jury or independent auditor) for decision
- In the years without on-site audits: Before the end of the year of award, the awarded establishment sends updates to the application material and pays the fees. The application report is presented for a National or International Jury for a decision
- Here you can download information about Costs for participating in Green Key.
- Here you can download Green Key's Policy document clarifying scope, non-discrimination, impartiality, confidentiality and objectivity.
- Here you can download Green Key's Agreement between applicant establishment and Green Key.
- Here you can download Green Key's Policy document clarifying appeal and complaint handling processes.
- Here you can download Green Key's Policy document clarifying the reference to Green Key during the award period.